Wednesday, July 26, 2023

2023 MN State Fair New Foods Preview Part 3- Donut Delights through Irish Butter Ice Cream Over Brown Sugar Cinnamon Toast

 

Donut Delights by Coasters


Mini donuts wrapped in bacon, on-a-stick, then deep-fried, topped with a layer of peanut butter and drizzled with raspberry dessert sauce.

Sarah

Ooh what do we have here? A new food from Coasters? I don’t know when the last time that happened was (if ever?) What’s great about this is we can get these donuts and also snag that delish creamsicle boozy drank at the same time. Okay let’s see what we got. Ugh, these are wrapped in bacon. Yawn. Listen, I love bacon. But I love crispy bacon. Soggy bacon is just dumb and gross. And when you wrap bacon around things, it’s always soggy bacon. But, I will say, it seems like this bacon is fried WITH the donut. So, if that’s truly the case, then there’s a good chance this bacon will be crispy and then I will be content. Oh peanut butter too? I see we’re going a bit Elvis-y on this one. I’m down for that. And then raspberry sauce. If I didn’t know better, I’d say raspberry could almost be a theme. Also I hope these aren’t too big because I bet they’re going to be rich. I also hope the bacon, peanut butter, and raspberry sauce don’t weight that donut down too much. But I’m pretty happy about trying this one.

 

Patrick

Home of the spectacular boozy Dreamsickle Hard Malt, and not so popular Cracklin Prime Rib Tacos.  Seems this is the second time they’ve made the list with a food item in recent history, and while they mix a damn fine, sweet treat, they really missed with their tacos (I just double checked, and while we have it listed as “tacos” on the blog page it is clearly nachos and listed correctly in the original post.  Come on Anne, do better.)  So here we have a sweet food, so maybe it will meet somewhere in the middle between the two.  Come on…C+?  Can’t quite figure out how this is gonna be executed.  Like, do they deep fry the mini donut then wrap it in bacon and deep fry it some more?  Can you wrap bacon around donut dough and then deep fry them together?  Seems like either method would be problematic.  I like the idea of peanut butter as a drizzle along with the raspberry sauce, creating a kind of sweet-leaning PB&J, but I’m also very much over using bacon as some kind of fantastical ingredient that goes anywhere.  Highly skeptical of this, but I’m prepared to be pleasantly surprised.  Good luck Coasters.

 

Anne

Well I smiled immediately and then was like wait- are these mini donuts? (see mini donut rant Day 2). Woooow is there A LOT happening here.

Ok so if mini donuts are wrapped in bacon and then deep fried, that means they’re twice fried, right? So extra crunchy then I would expect.

Honestly, this just seems like too much going on, but maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. Coasters has earned an A and a D in the past so we’re wildly all over the place here and I guess anything could happen.

 

Fried Butternut Squash Ravioli by Oodles of Noodles



Deep-fried butternut squash ravioli sprinkles with maple cinnamon sugar. Served with a side of whipped ricotta. (vegetarian)

Sarah

Huh. At first I was like, wtf does this have to do with noodles since it’s from oodles of noodles. And then I remembered that ravioli is a noodle and then I contemplated going to bed. But I didn’t. Because I need, nay, MUST, write about these new foods (also because both Anne and Packie are done writing about theirs, but I’m in a hotel doing PROFESH writing stuff and that takes priority. But I know Anne especially is peeved that I haven’t finished yet.) Oh, it’s a deep-fried ravioli! Okayokayokay. I like me some fried raviolis. And I do enjoy some butternut squash. Anne and I never get to eat squash because Packie “doesn’t like it” blah blah blah, so it sucks for him that he’s going to have to eat this! Oh shit. It’s served with whipped ricotta?? Hold the phone. That is amazing. I’m so fricking excited to try this whipped ricotta as a dip. Like, that waaaaay overshadows everything else in this. Shit. I might be more excited about this ricotta than anything else.

 

Patrick

Alright, not sure if this has been mentioned prior, but along with avocados, Packie no likey squash.  Not all squash I guess, but there a large variety of what is technically a ‘squash’, but primarily things like butternut squash.  Really don’t like the texture, and definitely dislike it as a filling in pasta.  At least in this case they are marrying the sweet squash with other sweet flavors, so maybe it’ll be alright.  If I put aside my persona aversions, I’d say it sounds like an interesting take on the fried ravioli staple by making it into a dessert item.  Oodles of Noodles make some pretty good mac and cheese, so hopefully they pull it off again with this food item.  Sarah and Anne are likely losing their shit about this and mentioning how despondent I’ll be finding out I have to eat squash.  They really want me to like it so they can gorge on it more often as a family.  I refuse.  I am allowed one loathed veggie if Anne gets to hate all of them.

 

Anne

Wellll I don’t really associate fair food with like a fried ravioli you could get as an app at any restaurant (yes I know it’s “fancier” bc butternut squash). Who is this from, Dino’s?

What the WHAT? OODLES OF NOODLES??

WHAT??!!

I am still confused. How is this noodles??

Ok well I like that they made them more dessert-y with the cinnamon sugar. And I LOVE that they’re served with a side of ricotta. So I think they actually sound pretty fun and I’m looking forward to tasting them. I am still just so heckin bamboozled that this is out of Oodles of Noodles.

 

Fried Green Tomato Sandwich in Two Varieties- BLT and Vegetarian by Minnesota Farmer’s Union Coffee Shop


Two deep-fried locally grown green tomato slices in a crust of Whole Grain Milling Co. High Lysine Cornmeal, with mustard mayonnaise made with Lost Capital Economics Coarse Spicy Ale Mustard, and local lettuce on a toasted brioche bun from The Good Bread Company. BLT is served with bacon from Pastures a Plenty & Hidden Stream Farm. Vegetarian option is served with locally produced charred sweet corn relish.

Sarah

Eh. I’m not a fried green tomato fan. I mean, I’m not really a tomato fan at all. The only times I like them are in bruschetta and caprese. And when it’s caprese, I want a two to one ratio of cheese to tomato. But I have tried fried green tomatoes before and been not impressed. At least this is on a Sammy, though, so there will be other things to hopefully buffer. Jesus there’s so much going on in this description. The cornmeal alone is almost a novel. I assume mustard mayonnaise is just mustard mixed with mayo? Jeeeeesus more words that pretty much mean nothing. Like, these are brands, right? But they have like two taglines. “Johan Sebastian Bach tuning fork pickle crumbs from Venice” has no meaning to me. Seriously. Calm down. But we’ll get the BLT I’m sure (which is ironic, because normally when we eat BLTs, we hold the T.) Oh, of COURSE this is farmer’s union. Chances are this will be bad. But, you know, the schnitzel last year was decent. So maybe they’ve turned a Jamie Lynn Spears Babbling Brook new leaf.

 

Patrick

Aw shit, spoke too soon.  To be fair, tomatoes are technically a fruit, right?  Right?  Yeah, but wisdom is knowing you don’t put tomatoes in a fruit salad, and now I’ve gone and lied about hating only one veggie.  Actually, tomatoes are a very curious food for me.  I love red sauce, ketchup, tomato basil soup, hell I love bruschetta and caprese salad and that is literally raw tomato slices.  One thing I don’t like for certain, is tomatoes on my sandwiches.  Just never have and don’t think I’ll change my opinion any time soon.  I’ve tried fried green tomatoes before, and while I like the idea of them and wish that I liked them, I certainly did not enjoy them.  I don’t think throwing them into a BLT, (which for me as you may have guessed, I always order as a BL) is going to change my opinion much.  Then, ho ho ho ho, there is the fact that this is coming from MN Farmers Union.  Creators of the one of the worst drinks of my life, a drink I had to CHEW (cucumber jalapeno limeade), was ice cold and somehow BURNED me.  New food alumni for the last 5 years (not including 2020 obvs) that only JUST broke the C and D-grade barrier they’d been languishing in to get a B last year with their Pork Schnitzel.  No.  No, this will be crap like most of their stuff.  They’re always on the list and they always disappoint.  I’m tired of them and I’m done.  Just stick with coffee, at least you can do that right.

 

Anne

Hmmm. You know I want to like Fried Green Tomatoes but I don’t despite attempts (not surprising- I don’t like tomatoes so it’s a hard sell). I guess putting them on a sammich with other stuff reduces the offense level of the FGTs?

Jebus that description is all advertising. I mean, I know that’s pretty much their MO- highlighting local produce and ag and such, but wow is that a mouthful.

I wish I could get the sweet corn relish on the BLT.

You know, MFUCS in general is usually pretty disappointing but I am often excited to try their wares. I’m looking forward to taking a nib of this (oh god- do you think it’s going to be teeny tiny like their items sometimes are? Hard to tell scale from the pic…)

 

Fruity Cereal Milk Biscuit by LuLu’s Public House


A Betty and Earl’s biscuit made with fruity cereal milk and cereal bits, drizzled with icing flavored with fruity cereal, and topped with more cereal bits.

Sarah

What the hell is this and why isn’t it in my mouth already? Oh shit, a twofer from Lulu’s?? This is EXCELLENT! And look at this thing? Oh god. I bet the mouthfeel is exquisite. Oh shit, it’s Betty and Earl’s biscuit back in action. Yissss. Shit. CEREAL MILK?? It’s MADE with the fruity cereal milk? Oh my god this is amazing. You know what? I think this might be it. Usually the things I’m most excited for are savory stuff. Potatoes and crispy things or whatever. But this is some sort of triumph of mankind. I’m just… I’m very excited and assume Anne and Packie are too.

 

Patrick

Alright, we can just stop the count here.  LuLu’s wins it.  Thank you to all the other competitors, you gave it your best shot, but you need to git gud if you’re going to compete with the queen of sweet.  I mean, come on.  Betty and Earl’s biscuit on it its own is just an effing winner.  Now, NOW you are telling me you’re going to drizzle this beautiful bitch with fruity cereal milk icing?  Cereal milk icing?!  How has no one come up with this before?  Because LuLu is a god damn revolutionary, that’s how!  Oh, and you know what, let’s just toss some more cereal on top, because we have to shine like Tamatoa in this fair.  I can’t believe I get two new desserts from Lulu’s this year.  Truly #blessed.

 

Anne

Is this a Betty and Earl’s Biscuit? Is this from Lulu’s?

It is!

Ok first- has it always been LuLu’s? bc I’ve been typing it Lulu’s and am I taking crazy pills or what is happening??

But holy shit the line for this starts behind ME.

This looks so damn good. Also B&E biscuits are bomb. I just…I need this in my mouth right now. I don’t have anything else to say, I am too excited.

 

Galabao by Union Hmong Kitchen


Traditional Hmong-style steamed bun stuffed with ground pork, egg and spices – a recipe from Chef Yia Vang’s mom. Served with choice of Krunchy Chili Oil, Kua Txob Hot Pepper Sauce, or Lemongrass Scallion Dressing

Sarah

Huh, what’s this? I’ve never heard of a galabao before. I’m going to assume (because I have a master’s degree and therefore AM a master) that it is some sort of bao. Probably of Hmong origin since it’s coming from the very good Union Hmong Kitchen. But we eat Hmong food pretty regularly in our house (cuz it’s great) and I don’t think we’ve ever had one of these. Or I suppose it’s possible we have and I just didn’t know what it was called. Ooh it has egg with the pork? Hell yes! LOVE me some egg! And fun with dipping sauces too! I wonder if we could do two? Probably not. I think the chili oil might be the way to go since I think we tried the lemongrass one last year. I hope it’s good. But also not too big because bao is super filling and ever though we’re splitting this, we got 30 some other foods to get through.

 

Patrick

What did I tell you about dumps?  Doesn’t matter if it is a little bite-sized dumpling or one as big as your damn fist like this bad boy.  Dumps are great.  Hmong food, for those who haven’t had the chance to try it yet (which is ridiculous, the Hmong community has been around for ages and they’ve been crushing the food scene) makes some damn good eats.  You may have had those little baby bao’s, but this is a monster bao!  Stuffed with everything savory, including a damn egg, and some dipping sauces to add an extra punch of flavor.  Nothing groundbreaking here, I can probably get something like this in most Hmong eateries, but I’m still stoked that they are at the fair representing.  They were a new vendor last year and they did their community proud by offering the delicious staples they are known for.  Look forward to sinking my teeth into this bad boy.

 

Anne

Is this just like a bao? Looks like it.

Ok I love that this is a family recipe. And I’m glad to see Union Hmong Kitchen making the new food list for the 2nd year in a row. Last year their food was great, solid B range iirc, and their shop was hoppin with a line going forever.

I really like bao, but I also don’t NEED bao, especially at the fair, bc I have a lot of food to eat and limited stomach space, and bao tends to be filling. I’m sure this will be great. But I’m feeling pretty meh about it.

 

Holey Hamloaf Breakfast Sandwich by Hamline Church Dining Hall


Hamline Church Dining Hall hamloaf, tangy glaze, caramelized onions and cheese in a sandwich made with fried egg-in-a-hole toast.

Sarah

What the hell is a hamloaf? It’s like a meatloaf made out of ham? I hope that’s not that case because BOO HAM. Oh, maybe it’s just actually a hamburger? But wouldn’t that just make this a patty melt? Okay, let me just read about it and see what’s what. No answer on the hamloaf I see. It sorta seems like the hamloaf is something the Hamline Brekkie hall traditionally has on their menu? I don’t recall ever seeing it, but I can’t remember everything, can I now? What’s a tangy glaze? This whole thing is a list of adjectives that have little meaning. Caramelized onions are good! Though that’s back to patty melt territory. Same with the cheese. OH SHIT! Egg in the hole Toast???? AMAZING! Yes, I want this breakfast sandwich! I don’t even care that I don’t know what a hamloaf is! This sounds great! The only thing I’m slightly concerned about is that tangy sauce because tangy can be a lot of flavor profiles so it’s really going to hinge on that. Hamline dining hall is usually okay, too. I don’t think they’ve ever really tanked things, but I’m not sure they’ve often knocked it out of the park, either. So I think we can be optimistic about this. Ah. Just realize there is a pun in the name, too. Nice.

 

Patrick

The dining hall has been pretty consistent with C-ranked foods across the last 5 years, save for last year when they started offering Paleta’s which was a sweet breath of fresh air for what I’d come to accept as a mediocre food stop.  Don’t get me wrong, the place is cute and homey, but it really does have that vibe of where the old folks go for their bland early bird dining experience.  I think it is a State Fair staple, just not one I feel inclined to partake in.  However, HOWEVER…I will say this sammich looks good.  Based on the picture, I’m assuming hamloaf is like a hamburger loaf and not a loaf made of ham?  Add in caramelized onions and this is almost a patty melt.  Making the toast into an egg-in-the-hole toast is just such a brilliant idea, I’m surprised I haven’t seen it done before now.  I really hope this turns out good, because on the surface it looks like a winner.  Now just quit while you’re ahead.  Don’t need to do something stupid like…I don’t know, also make the new foods list with an item that was on the list last year?  That wouldn’t happen, right?  Right?

 

Anne

This has to be from Hamline Church Dining Hall, right?

Ope- nailed it.

Ok first- is anyone else a child like me and finding “hamloaf” to be hilarious? I know you’re out there.

Welp, this looks great. There isn’t a thing on there that I DON’T want. I mean it sounded great until I got to the egg in a hole, and you know how I feel about eggs (I LOVE EM).

This is looking like a strong year- I am excited for a lot of things here, and I’m only to H!

 

Hot Honey Cheese Sticks by The Blue Barn


Fried Halloumi cheese topped with hot honey and honeycomb crunch. (vegetarian)

Sarah

WTF is going on in this picture? Are those carrot sticks? And honeycomb cereal? Do they even make that anymore? Wait, I guess they’re cheese? Haloumi cheese? I’m not a fan of haloumi, generally, so now I’m kinda sad. Also this is the blue barn, and they’re a real rollercoaster for us. After years of jerking us around, we had a few spectacular years in a row. But then last year they were back to jerking us around. So now I feel a bit like “once bitten, twice shy.” Or “fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.” And I don’t want no shame on me, blue barn. Looks like they just made mozzarella sticks with haloumi, threw some hot honey on them and then some cereal. It’s funny, because the item before that has cereal thrown on it, I’m excited for. This just kind of makes me sad and maybe pissed off? Like they’re not even really trying anymore or something. God dammit, blue barn. Why are you like this?

 

Patrick

I will hand it to the Blue Barn, they never go simple, and they always shoot for the fences.  As you’d expect, this makes for a roller coaster of low and high rankings from them across the years, and since they almost always put out 2 new foods there is a vast pool of examples to draw from.  I’ll gladly just take the single new food that’s made the list this year though, and save my belly space for other things.  I had to look up Halloumi cheese to get a grasp of what this would be like, and I learned that it is usually a mixture of goat’s and sheep’s milk with a texture described as “squeaky” and a high melting point that makes it easily fried or grilled.  I’ve certainly had fried cheese before and I’m a big fan.  It is always hard to tell for sure with Blue Barn, but I think this looks good.  I love the idea of it being topped with honeycomb crunch cereal and mixing in hot honey sounds interesting as well (poor Sarah, why is everything so hot hot hot).  Hope this is a good year from them, since last year was a double dose of bad.

 

Anne

I see Hot Honey is making its second appearance here.

Oh god. Blue Barn.

I just…I don’t even know what to think here. I can’t get hurt by Blue Barn anymore. I won’t allow it. I just don’t want to even have an opinion. Maybe if I say it looks terrible Blue Barn will surprise us? Can we go back to 2018 and 2019 when they had their good years? I mean, how can a vendor have an equal amount of As AND Fs? I mean we only have 9 Fs EVER and Blue Barn has 33% of them!

I don’t even know man. What are we even doing here.

 

Irish Butter Ice Cream over Brown Sugar Cinnamon Toast by Blue Moon Dine-In Theater


Ice Cream made with European-style butter served on brown sugar cinnamon toast, drizzled with butter syrup and sprinkled with sea salt flakes.

Sarah

Aww, well isn’t this nice? I mean, it’s not anything special, I don’t think. But it looks nice and I think I’ll like it. And it’s from Blue Moon Dine-In and they’re generally pretty good. Also, this seems like something that would be hard to mess up as I assume it’s just ice cream on toast. Yep. That’s what it is. Though the sea salt flakes are a nice touch that I’m sure I’ll love. Packie is probably conflicted. He likes toast. I think he might particularly like cinnamon toast. But then there’s the ice cream right on top and he’s going to have to eat it. TOO BAD, PACKIE!

 

Patrick

Another vendor who knows how to put out some wacky fun ideas with food, and they have a pretty damn good record of successes.  That said, this item seems pretty basic and straightforward, just cinnamon sugar toast with ice cream.  The choice of ice cream however makes it sound like a winning combo, and I get some serious nostalgia feels for the cinnamon sugar toast.  I don’t think the idea is going to blow me out of the water, but I’ll be perfectly content if it is as good as it sounds.

 

Anne

Thought for sure this was gonna be O’Gara’s bc of the Irish, but then didn’t think sweets was their MO. So, pleasantly surprised to see Blue Moon here.

So it’s basically a fancy French toast with ice cream. Ok. I like the addition of the sea salt flakes to cut the sweet. The pic looks a little dry for French toast.

Oh.. OOOOOOOOH- it’s CINNAMON TOAST, not French toast. My B. Well damn now I wish I had French toast.

This looks fine.

Next.


Tune in tomorrow to find out if we want to drink jam through a straw or not (WE'LL GIVE YOU ONE GUESS).

1 comment:

  1. Soggy bacon is just dumb and gross.

    Everything in that sentence is wrong.

    I will revise my earlier mini donut edict. I'm excited for these bacon wrapped donuts. That's the kind of ridiculous over-the-top-ness I want in my fair food.

    which is ironic, because normally when we eat BLTs, we hold the T.

    Wait, what? You just have a BL? I could get behind a straight bacon sandwich (British gets a bad rap), but throwing just the lettuce on seems pointless.

    Here's my hot take for the fair: this cereal bun thing you're all gaga for? Meh.

    What the hell is a hamloaf?

    I think it's like the midwest equivalent of scrapple or Taylor Ham? Regardless, seems very Hamline Dining Hall.

    I mean we only have 9 Fs EVER and Blue Barn has 33% of them!

    Okay, now I need to be reminded what the other Blue Barn Fs are.

    As we've discussed, I'm more of a Blue Barn stan than any of you (they have at least two foods that are every year must haves, and not many places can say that), but these fancy spicy mozzarella sticks do nothing for me. Want another hot take? I am over "hot honey" as a thing.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!