Wednesday, July 18, 2018

2018 MN State Fair New Foods Preview Part 3


HUMP DAY!


We're in the middle of the list today, letters M through R (if you didn't realize they're listed alphabetically, you do now.  YOU'RE WELCOME.)

You can click here for part 1, and part 2.


Let's get to it!


Messy Giuseppe





A blend of seasoned ground beef and Italian pork sausage smothered in marinara, sprinkled with parmesan cheese and served on crusty Italian bread.

At Mancini's al Fresco


Sarah

No. I don’t want this. Besides Mexican food, Sarah doesn’t like red sauce. And I’m pissed that the State Fair is making me eat so many things that I don’t like this year.

I mean, it sounds fine. I bet Anne and Pat will like it all right. But I know I will try a bite and say “Yep. That’s marinara sauce” and then be fucking done with it.

And of course it has to be “smothered” in marinara. Why can’t it just be drizzled with it?


Anne

Yep. Gimme That. Right In Ma Mouf.

I am not sure we’ve ever eaten with this vendor before. I hope they represent.

(update- they made the Bomba Sammich last year- it was fine).


Patrick

Aaaah yeah, now this is what I’m talking about.  There is nothing I don’t like about this.  This just sounds like something delicious I want to chow down on.  I think Mancini’s has been hit or miss for food items (and usually it looks good and falls a little flat, which has me a *little* worried about making this my most excited item), but I feel like they’ve got all the right punches to make this sandwich a knockout.  I guess the bread could be soggy or stale and that would eff things up, but I hope they really pull through on this one.


Moroccan Sausage Bowl





Coarse ground beef and lamb sausage seasoned with herbs, sweet spices and a hint of red pepper, cooked with carrots, turnips and chick peas, and topped with sautéed onions and a green olive.

At Sausage by Cynthia



Sarah

Son of a bitch it took me three tries to spell Moroccan right. And yet I get Giuseppe on the first try. (okay, it was the first try on the title of the previous entry but the second try here. I’m a giant mess (and actually, spell check has just informed me that I, in fact, did not spell Giuseppe right on the first time ever, except for in this sentence, right now.))

So, I think the photo on this is a little underwhelming. Something about the colors, maybe. BUT. All that said, this looks good. I mean, get rid of those crotch peppers and then we’ve got a deal! Okay, I guess I’m also not sure about the chick peas. I think I’ll most likely end up pushing those to the side of the plate, but everything else on this sounds great! So color me excited about this one!


Anne

Not one whole green olive! How are we going to split that three ways?

Yeah this looks and sounds good. I’m not a HUGE chick pea fan, but I’m interested to try them again in a different way.

What is Sausage by Cynthia? Because we already have pretty good sausage on offer at Sausage Sisters so…


Patrick

This was aaaalmost my most excited for item.  I passed on it for that pic because of the chick peas.  Not crazy about chick peas.  Honestly though, I think I can work through that, because this looks amazing.  Love the meat and vegetables, and the green olives.  Sounds like my kind of crazy ethnic food that I love giving a try.  I seem to use crazy a lot in these reviews, like I have no middle ground for food preference.  I’m either crazy about something, or not crazy about it.  Guess I have to live to the extremes!



Nordic Waffles





Fresh-made waffle wraps in seven varieties: All-Day Breakfast (egg, bacon & cheddar); Berries & Cream (raspberry & strawberry mixture with vanilla cream); Cinna-Sugar Butter (cinnamon, sugar & butter); Slammin’ Salmon On-A-Stick (Norwegian smoked salmon with cream cheese & green onions); S’More (marshmallow crème, crumbled graham crackers & Nutella); Turkey Chipotle Club (turkey, bacon & mixed greens with Sriracha mayo sauce); and Vegetarian Viking (black bean veggie burger, cheddar cheese, mixed greens & chipotle sauce).

At Nordic Waffles



Sarah

Jesus it’s like they’re taking parenthetical lessons from me.

I get irritated when a “new food” is actually like seven new foods. Like, come on. Just pick one you want to focus on for your debut and push that as the front runner. Because now the three of us are going to have to decide which one of these we’re gonna want to try. And I bet it will come down to the All-Day Breakfast, Berries & Cream, or S’More. *Sighs for fifteen minutes*

But I think this is a clever new shop and I hope these waffles turn out great so then I’ll want to make the effort to try the other ones I’m interested in.


Anne

Ok hold on here- I don’t think it’s fair to cram 7 new foods into 1 new food offering.  Like- this is a new vendor, you don’t get to just list everything you make- IT’S ALL NEW.

But other than that I’m pretty exciterested to try these, especially the brekkie one, and the sweet ones. I don’t want fish on a stick so stay away salmon!


Patrick

Shut up, how am I going to try all of these Nordic waffles?  There are so many of them, how does one choose?  Maybe we’ll each need to get one to form a clear opinion on this new food creation.  If I had to pick three to give a go, I’d probably pick All-Day Breakfast, Cinna-Sugar Butter, and S’More, with maybe Turkey Chipotle Club waiting on the bench.  I’m pretty stoked to try these, they sound really good, and I like waffles so seeing them as a sandwich conveyance is pretty exciting.


Pepperoni Chips with Roasted Red Pepper Queso






Thinly sliced fried pepperoni chips served with a warm roasted red pepper cheese sauce.

At Lulu's Public House



Sarah


Hahaha! Lulu’s is such a HACK! Literally Packie makes Pepperoni chips as a side for dinners, sometimes. It takes him, like, what? 2 minutes to make them? YOU CAN MAKE THEM IN A MICROWAVE, GUYS. And here’s Lulu serving them up as something special. Next year on Lulu’s menu: hard boiled eggs.

Seriously. I would say these will be fine, yet nothing special, but it’s Lulu’s and they often are super overpriced for food that is not great so there’s a chance even these will be a flop.

I am a bit excited about the cheese sauce, though.

C’mon, Lulu’s. Surprise me for a change.


Anne

Ok, these are probably gonna be real good. How do I know that? BECAUSE WE MAKE THEM AT HOME!

C’mon Lulu’s, what’d you do, draw inspiration from Pinterest? At least this year they’ll probably have a pretty good new food, because I really want to like Lulu’s but they usually only put out C or maaaaybe B level food.


Patrick

Alright LuLu, if I recall correctly (and I do, I cheated and looked up last year’s reviews) you and I had a real falling out last year.  You had two chances to wow me and you kind of tripped when you were carrying them to my table and dumped them on my head.  I told you I was done wit you.  That you were in the same doghouse as Blue Barn.  You’re back again, and you look like you’re playing things cool, not trying to really stand out, and only putting out a single new item this year (which I can appreciate).  So…I’m gonna give you one last shot.  Don’t fuck it up.  

Pepperoni Chips.  I’d first like to say I can make these in a microwave at home and they are great, so you’re not really trying very hard, but maybe that’s a good thing for you.  Fried pepperoni chips are my jam, and whether you actually fried these or just nuked them like I do, it’ll be hard not to nail this.  That roasted red pepper cheese sauce you got with them?  Ok, I can dig that.  Sounds pretty good.  Just don’t you play me Lulu.  Don’t you do it, or you’ll be getting the same treatment as Blue Barf further down this list.  I believe you can change, girl.


Rainbow Cloud Roll





Three scoops of ice cream sprinkled with fruity cereal and wrapped in a pillow of cotton candy. Hand-rolled on-site. Ice cream choices include Superman, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate.

At Rainbow Ice Cream


Sarah

Holy shit look at this!!! Oh man, will this be amazing or terrible? WHO CAN SAY? THIS is the kind of fun fair foods I look forward to. The confections that are weird and strange and you know you’ll either be blown away by this magical treat or saddened that it turned out to be a devil’s trap all along.


NOT TODAY, SATAN.

This is butts. Just straight up good butts.

Will the cotton candy just melt with the ice cream? What kind of flavor will we get? (my vote will be for chocolate) Will it give us ice cream headaches? We’ll find out in a few months!


Anne

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! YAAAAAAASSSSSS! NOW WE’RE TALKING!

This looks absolutely INSANE and is exactly what I’m expecting from new MNSF foods!  WTF is Superman Ice Cream? I assume it’s the red and blue ice cream in the pic?

Fucking fantastic.


Patrick

LMAO!  What?  What is this?  This is like kid crack.  Something a kid would like go crazy over, but anyone with real developed tastes would be like “that shit gonna taste insane”, and not necessarily in a good way.  That rainbow ice cream looks fun and kooky.  It’s like the suicide soft drink of ice creams.  It sounds cool and fun, but ultimately you’re just muddying everything with too many flavors.  I don’t know, maybe like the chocolate or vanilla, or even the strawberry might look more appetizing.  I’ll jump in this ball pit of sweetness, but I feel like I’m going to get frustrated when I can’t flounder my way out of it.


Check us out tomorrow for part 4!

5 comments:

  1. if you didn't realize they're listed alphabetically, you do now. YOU'RE WELCOME.

    Mind=blown.

    See also: tag, as in "playing tag" or "tag or it" is an acronym for "Touch And Go". And those numbers on your toaster correspond to the # of minutes the item in the toaster will be held down, not some arbritary indicator of doneness.

    I am not sure we’ve ever eaten with this vendor before. I hope they represent.

    Have you ever been to the actual Mancini's, their restaurant on West 7th in St. Paul? It's this super cool 50s-era steakhouse, and they have *the* best garlic bread in the history of the world. They sell it at the fair, and it's so good that Kristi and I buy an order at the fair every year, and bring it home to eat throughout the following week. We specifically pack ziploc bags in our fair bag *just* to cart home Mancini's garlic bread. That's how good it is.

    What is Sausage by Cynthia? Because we already have pretty good sausage on offer at Sausage Sisters so…

    Heh. That's funny, because the order of those is flipped for me. I feel like I always see stuff about Sausage by Cynthia (I think there's perpetually a coupon in the Blue Book) , but I'm like "what the heck is Sausage Sisters?"

    Jesus it’s like they’re taking parenthetical lessons from me.

    Ha!

    Maybe we’ll each need to get one to form a clear opinion on this new food creation.

    That seems like a good plan. You could get one brekkie, one savory (like the turkey sandwich one) and one sweet to get the full gamut of options.

    It takes him, like, what? 2 minutes to make them? YOU CAN MAKE THEM IN A MICROWAVE, GUYS.

    Hmm, this idea intrigues me. Please elaborate further.

    but it’s Lulu’s and they often are super overpriced for food that is not great so there’s a chance even these will be a flop.

    Yeah. I feel about Club Lulu's what you feel about Blue Barn. One of the worst things I've ever had at the fair came from them, and I haven't been back.

    Three scoops of ice cream sprinkled with fruity cereal

    One of my favorite things is when people talk about food but can't use brand names, so they use hilariously-generic terms instead, but everyone really knows what they're talking about. I mean, "Fruity Cereal" is clearly Fruity Pebbles, but Rainbow Ice Cream doesn't want to run afoul of Post so they're all coy about it.

    It's like when you're watching a show on Food Network or something and the host talks about "crisped rice cereal" or "processed cheese loaf" instead of Rice Krispies and Velveeta.

    WTF is Superman Ice Cream?

    Yeah, it's the red/blue combo. It's an official Kemps flavor, I believe. Like, if you go to one of those ice cream shops (usually up north) where they have a ton of different ice creams but they don't make their own, they're all supplied by Kemps or whatnot, there's usually a tub of "Superman" ice cream amongst all the others they're scooping out. It just makes me want all the superheroes to have their own ice cream flavor, which in turns makes me want there to be an ice cream shop that *just* serves superhero ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I...I did not know that about "tag"

      Pat will have to weigh in on the pepperoni chips since he's the one who makes them (I'll make sure he does) but yeah, they're good. Nice and crispy.

      And oh shit--I think we could spend a WHOLE DAY trying to decide what all the superheroes ice cream flavors would be.

      New York Vanilla for Cap, maybe?

      Zanzibar chocolate for Batman?

      Shiiiiiiit now I want ice cream

      Delete
    2. Pepperoni chips are way easy to make. You put paper towels down on a plate, line it with pepperoni slices, and then another paper towel on top. Depending on the wattage of the Microwave, you should cook it between 30 seconds and a minute. I'd check them after they come out and adjust cooking time as desired for desired level of crisp. Repeat with additional slices until you've cooked as many as you like. You may have to swap out paper towels if they get too greasy.

      Delete
    3. Dang, I've got a abg of pepperoni in my fridge right now just waiting for something to be done with it. Pepperoni chips, here I come!

      New York Vanilla for Cap, maybe?

      Or maybe something quintessentially American, like Rocky Road?

      Superman should probably be vanilla. Batman is def some kind of chocolate. Mint chocolate chip for Green Lantern, or is that too on-the-nose. Rum Raisin for Iron Man, of course.

      Yeah, we do this all day...

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!