Friday, June 28, 2019

2019 MN State Fair New Foods Preview Part 5


THIS IS IT!

THE END!



via GIPHY

We've reached Day Five. Nothing left to do but go through these last few foods and then twiddle our thumbs waiting for the actual foods to shove in our mouths.

Might as well get to it so we can commence our very quite weeping.

Oh. You can find Parts 1, 2, 3, and 4 at these links.





Sarah


Ohhh fun! Yes! This looks great and different! I hope it tastes delightful and fresh.

I really hope this is good. I really want it to be good. It should be good, right? All the elements add up to something that should be just great.

Don’t disappoint me, Blue Moon Dine-In. You’ve broken my heart in the past and made it soar. We’re due for another good year from you.

Patrick

Now THIS is what I am talking about.  And from the Blue Moon Dine-in Theater?  Now I know it’ll be great.  They’ve made some wonderful and delicious new foods in the past, and I like everything about this foreign pizza.  Comes rolled or folded?  How do I decide?  Is one way easier to eat than the other?  Which way is more traditional?  Why you make me choose?!  I want this now; spicy beef, cucumber salad, and all.


Anne

Ok- this looks just like Greek Tacos, but in pizza form. But then they rolled or folded it and turned it into a taco instead?

Lahmacun is apparently just Turkish/Armenian/Lebanese/Syrian pizza with minced meat, veggies and herbs (including onions, tomatoes and parsley), and spices like pepper, paprika, cumin, cinnamon.

Well regardless, this looks excellent, and Blue Moon rarely disappoints. I expect this will be really tasty and satisfying.




Sarah

I mean, fine. This looks good. I like cheesecake so sure.


But I don’t like when I have to CHOOSE between options, you know? What if we pick the chocolate one, but it turns out the strawberry one was really the best option to go with?

I don’t want to buy 4 tarts, okay? Unless the first one is amazing. Then fine, maybe we’ll splurge. But come on.

Lulu’s public house. They are mostly eh. Sometimes they put something nice out, though. I’m betting this one won’t be one of them, though.

I’m gonna push for strawberry, I think.

Patrick

Oh my god, little cheesecake tarts?  These look adorable and delicious.  How do I choose what topping to get?  Do I need more than one?  Does it come with more than one?  LuLu’s?!  Are you fucking kidding me?  This nonsense again?  This’ll probably turn out be a disappointment somehow, they always manage to screw it up!  I am not shouting!  No, I’m not going to smack anyone, why do you people keep asking that?

Anne

I don’t know man… I know Lulu’s has tried pastry and such in the past, but that is not the kind of food stand I think of them as, so any time they come out with something like this I am confused. These don’t look amazing, and I don’ like how runny and thin the glaze looks on these pies.


Also, do I like my cheesecake warm…?

I don’t know man…



Sarah

Ohhhhhh fun! I LOVE flights of things! And this has actual injectors!!! I am excited!

But also, though, that’s just kind of a waste of materials and extra trash. Even though it’s fun and exciting, the planet is going to end in, like 5 years, so maybe don’t help it along with extra trash and just fill the donuts for us?

Still, though, I’m gonna eat the SHIT out of this.

I hope there’s enough filling in those syringes to go around.

Also, I kind of want an extra one to just squirt in my mouth.

Oh, this is at the Hangar! I’m excited to give this one another shot since it’s only its second year existing.

Patrick

Assault?!  That’s battery at best.  It’s not fleeing the scene, I’m still on State Fair grounds.  I just relocated to a nearby establishment to get away from the fucking blue cheese stink!  Let me finish my fucking reviews god dammit!


Donut holes with your own syringe of sweet filling to stuff them with?  Shut up and take my money!  How do you resist not just injecting sweet cream, custard, or jam straight into your mouth?  This looks like a lot of fun and I hope it’s as good as it is entertaining to eat.

All right, if we can just jump the fence behind the Hangar, we can lose ourselves in the sea of RVs and hide out with the carnies.

Anne

HAHAHAHAHAHAH! This is insane!! OMG I love this. I wonder how many donut holes this comes with? I’m going to need to try ALL THE COMBINATIONS.

The Hangar had good food for its Maiden Voyage last year, and I’m glad to see they’re still offering AND that they’ve taken a step closer to crazy town.



Sarah

Come on. This isn’t…this isn’t fair food, okay, new vendor Blue Ox Burger Bar? I can get a burger like this at Five Guys or any other place where you pick what you put on your burger which is most places nowadays.


I mean, don’t get me wrong, I fuckin love burgers. I just, don’t need to go to the state fair to get a burger, you know?

Since we gotta eat it no matter what, it better be a damn good burger.

Patrick

Normally, a build-your-own burger bar is an enticing prospect, but I didn’t come to the MN State Fair to eat a burger joint.  I want something new and fair-festive that I don’t normally get every day, and burger joints are a dime a dozen around here.  I see they have breakfast sammiches here too, but I’d make the same argument for that with the burgers.  If they were offering some unique take on burgers, then we could talk, but I’m not sure I want to spend the stomach space or cash on this.  Nothing against them personally, maybe they make a mean burger.

Anne

A build your own burger bar. Hmm, that seems neat. But IN GENERAL, I don’t go to the State Fair to have a burger…



Sarah

What? There’s already a strawberry place. It looks like a giant strawberry. And usually it’s not bery (heh! That was a legit typo and I left it in because it was funny) good.


I do like berries and cream, though. But, again, I can just make that at home pretty easily. We actually DO make it at home regularly so it sucks that I’m gonna have to spend my monies on this.

I WILL try the iced tea, though. That sounds like it could be good.

I see this is cleverly named Strawberries n’ Crème

Patrick

Wow, you really broke the mold with this one.  I’m lying, this is some played out shit.  Don’t get me wrong, strawberries and cream can be pretty great, but I’m looking for much more exciting fare here at the…uh, the fair.  Is that a pun?  I don’t know, whatever.  The real funny thing is, there’s that strawberry place over by the animal barns (you know the one with the stand that looks like a giant strawberry).  That place makes strawberry desserts, and they use canned strawberries, because you know, why use quality ingredients on the only thing you do and are known for?  So, maybe this place will outshine that crap hole.  I’m actually rooting for them in that regard.

Anne

I guess this is all they do. Pass.



Sarah

Okay. Normally I would be pretty excited about this, but we go to Market fest in White Bear Lake like every Thursday in the summer and they have a KILLER AMAZING ice cream sandwich between chocolate chip cookies and I’m fairly certain none of these are going to be beat that.

But. I do like that there are so many fun flavors. I might swing for that chocolate peanut butter one. Ooh, or maybe even the Cayenne Chocolate Chip.


We’ll see how it goes, Thelma’s Handmade Ice Cream Sandwiches

Patrick

Hey, if I’m going to have to eat ice cream, I can at least get behind it when it is sandwiched between two cookies.  This idea also isn’t very novel, but I do appreciate that they have a wide variety of choices for your selection.  This all comes down to how good the cookies are, and to a lesser extent, how good the ice cream is.

Anne

Lots of cookie and ice cream sandwiches. I might try one- they have some fun flavors.





Sarah


Okay, so cookie dough on a stick for this new vendor Kora’s Cookie Dough. I can get down with giving that a try.

I don’t lose my mind over cookie dough like some people do, but I’m not against it by any means.


There’s gonna be a discussion, though, about what kind to get because that’s the way it always is with new vendors because all of their foods are new.

Patrick

OHMYGOD SHOVE IT IN MY FACE!  I love cookie dough, and all the variations here sound great.  I want it deep fried, I want it dipped, I want to try all the different dough flavors.  I don’t care if this is fat-shame on a stick, I will grin like a madman as you watch and shake your head.  Kora, you have pleased the food gods that reside in my belly.


Anne

Deep fried cookie dough, and cookie dough on a stick, with or without chocolate and toppings. MAAAAAAAAYBE I’d try one of these.



And that's it. 

That's all she wrote.


via GIPHY

We'll see you again in a few weeks once the fair actually starts.

WE CANNOT WAIT

1 comment:

  1. LuLu’s?! Are you fucking kidding me? This nonsense again?

    I'm with you. Everything I've gotten from Lulu's was disappointing. I just don't even bother anymore (and "cheesecakes" ain't gonna lure me back).

    But also, though, that’s just kind of a waste of materials and extra trash.

    Yeah, this. Also, I've done this whole "inject your donut with filling" business a few times before, and it's usually more hassle than its worth and I just end up eating the two things separately.

    I can get a burger like this at Five Guys or any other place where you pick what you put on your burger which is most places nowadays.

    I mean, I can get a customized burger at *McDonalds* these days via their app/in-store order screens. Build Your Own Burger is only noteworthy when it includes a wide range of toppings (or bizarre/unique toppings), not the standard crap you get at any burger place.

    I don’t lose my mind over cookie dough like some people do, but I’m not against it by any means.

    Ditto. But deep frying it at least gives it that "State Fair" sheen of being able to brag about the crazy ass shit we deep fry at our fair.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!