Monday, August 22, 2016

Classics Countdown: Australian Battered Potatoes

THIS IS THE WEEK THE MN STATE FAIR BEGINS!

Seriously, the MN State Fair is one of the main reasons we even started this blog.

We cannot wait.

But we're still continuing with our Classics Countdown and today is:

Australian Battered Potatoes



Location: Australian Battered Potatoes stand North side of Judson Ave. between Liggett & Clough streets


Sarah: Oh man. OH MAN. Aussie Potatoes, you glorious bastards, you.

You get slices of potatoes, battered and fried, and served with ranch or cheese dipping sauce. Or both! And they are so, so good. Crispy and soft and pillowy.

And both the cheese and ranch are so good on the potatoes.

The only issue I’ve ever had with them is that they’re too much. You definitely get your money’s worth, but there’s not, like, a smaller option. So unless you’re sharing with, like, 5 people (not even an exaggeration) you’re either going to fill up on taters, or have to chuck some of them in the garbage.


Anne: God. I don’t know what kind of batter they use on these Australian Battered Potatoes, but it’s wonderful- those aussies must have stumbled across some sort of magical concoction to submerge their tubers in because these are just potatoes, battered and fried, but they are so, so good. You can get them with cheese, ranch, or go all out (you’re worth it) and get both cheese AND ranch.

Make sure you share these with a friend--not because you don’t want to eat every bit by yourself, but because if you do you’ll be done eating for at least a few hours--portions are large and you’ll be full up by the end! (I really wish I could just get like a single potato slice- I’ve got a lot of food to eat here, Australia!)

We usually leave this item for later in the week when we’re not trying all the new foods. It’s so filling I need to eat it on a day when I’m not committed to the task at hand (eating all the foods)


Patrick: I don’t know how they make these so damn good, to be honest. Thin sliced potatoes that are battered and deep fried, for a crispy potato with nacho cheese or ranch, this is a filling confection that requires a lot of friends to polish off.

They drizzle that ranch or cheese all over it because they derive pleasure in watching people fumble with eating and not slathering condiments all over their mugs. But, we just smile and eat it anyways, because we’re sheep. Sheep that want to shove those battered potatoes in our craws no matter how messy it is.

Can’t you get dipping cups instead of pouring it over the potatoes like gravy? Maybe. I think I asked once, and the vendor just glared at me and whispered “eat that shit with your fingers you disgusting mess.”

I did it too. You don’t stay classy at the Fair, you just spiral ever lower towards devolving into a morlock.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when these were the hot new thing at the fair. I got them every year for several years. Of course, those were the days when I was routinely going with larger groups (4+) of people, which made the necessary sharing easier to accomplish.

    Because you're absolutely right, this definitely need to be shared.

    It's been a number of years since I last had them. Every year, we walk by the booth and I think "oh yeah, those are great, I should get them", then remember there's no way just two people can kill 'em. Unwilling to waste either delicious potatoes or precious gut space, we move on forlornly...

    Also, @Pat I think I asked once, and the vendor just glared at me and whispered “eat that shit with your fingers you disgusting mess.” - all the LOLs to that! I like to imagine the various food vendors believe us all to be disgusting pigs, even as we line their pockets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There have definitely been years, especially lately, where we, too, have passed them by, even if a little sadly. They're just so much to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would eat those!
    I don't think we have them at our state fair. If I ever see them, I'll keep the size portion in mind. Sounds like it makes a whole meal for many.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!