Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Classics Countdown: Corn on the Cob

Day 7 of the Classics Countdown brings us:

Corn on the Cob



Location: Corn Roast Stand on Southeast corner of Dan Patch Ave. & Nelson St


Sarah: Oh man. Corn on the cob. Like, what’s the big deal, right? You can get corn on the cob whenever you want.

But no. NO! The corn on the cob at the state fair is harvested THAT MORNING from MN farms, and trucked in before the fair opens. IT IS THE MOST FRESH CORN YOU CAN GET UNLESS YOU ARE GROWING YOUR OWN.

And then it is grilled over fire, and dumped in vat of butter and passed onto you to go to town.

And then, because the MN State Fair is awesome, everything is completely recyclable.


Anne: Or as we like to call it- kern. The kern at the roasted corn stand has no equal- I don’t care what anyone else says and I’ll fight you! Seriously- they have their own specific farm that grows kern just for the MN State Fair Roasted Corn stand- that’s why it’s always good- consistency of product.

Now- roast that kern and then dip it into a giant vat of butter? I don’t care if I’m pulling kernels out of my teeth for the rest of the day- that shit is glorious.

Bonus- they recycle the cobs and the napkins too. It makes my mouth and my heart feel good at the same time :)


Patrick: Yeah, that’s right! Corn!

 How is a vegetable that your body can barely turn into nutrients a classic of the fair? Because it is so-damn-classic. And classy to boot.

When you get corn at peak ripeness (do vegetables ripen? Sure, why not.) it is so sweet and so delicious. Now dunk that bitch in a barrel of butter and salt it up!

You have to get a corn on the cob, you just have to. Everyone knows this, just like everyone knows that Pronto Pups are the devil’s dog, or that SPAM is something Cthulhu thought up.

4 comments:

  1. And here we part ways. Never been a big corn guy. Honestly don't think I've purchased one at the fair for myself (I've had a few bites of other people's cobs, though). I know you say it's better than what you get at home, and it's "just corn" the same way that Big Fat Bacon is "just bacon", but...it's just corn. And the little bit I've had of it at the fair hasn't convinced me it's THAT much better than what I can do at home, so I usually spend my money (and stomach space) elsewhere.

    I don't begrudge anyone who loves their corn, and I do genuinely love that everything about is recyclable, but it's just not my bag.

    The corn on the cob at the state fair is harvested THAT MORNING from MN farms, and trucked in before the fair opens. IT IS THE MOST FRESH CORN YOU CAN GET UNLESS YOU ARE GROWING YOUR OWN.

    Fresh Thyme trucks in fresh corn (picked the morning of) from local farms every day (at least during corn season). AND they only charge $.10 an ear for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went through a few years where I was mostly meh on the corn. But the last couple years either I've changed my mind or the corn has gotten better or something, but it has been spectacular and now I can't imagine not getting it.

    What is Fresh Thyme? And also, does that .10 an ear include fire roasting and butter dip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh Thyme is new grocery-ish chain. It's like an indoor Farmers Market w/a small organic-focused grocery storue tacked on. Lots of fresh, locally-sourced produce at good prices. There's a few that have opened in the South Metro, but I don't think any up in the boonies yet. :)

    And no, the ten cents doesn't include the fire-roasting and butter; that's all on you, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! That sounds awesome! I hope one opens up here in the wonderful north suburbs

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!