Thursday, August 18, 2016

Classics Countdown: Milk

We are officially one week away from the start of the MN State Fair!

And today for our Classics Countdown, we're going for a drink:

Milk



Location: Milk stand at Northeast corner of Judson Ave. & Clough St.


Sarah: I know. Milk, right? You can get that anywhere and anywhen.

And that is true.

But there is something about the Milk stand at the MN State Fair that blows everything out of the water. Whether you get white, chocolate or half and half, it’s all you can drink, and it’s fresh, literally from the fair livestock. It’s whole, thick and bubbly, and COLD (which is the best part on a hot, August afternoon.)

And I know Ron Burgundy tells us the dangers of milk in the summer, but in this case, he’s wrong. Milk at the State Fair is thirst quenching and wonderful.





Anne: It does a body good!

 All you can drink milk is a heckuva deal (of course- you have to stay on the sidewalk outside the milk building- if you leave you have to buy a new cup. Of course- no one is policing this, but let’s be good Minnesotans and play by the rules).

I used to think milk would be too heavy of a beverage to drink on a hot State Fair day (milk was a bad choice), but I was wrong. It’s a great way to rehydrate and to give yourself a break from all the water (or maybe pop or beer) you’ve been drinking. You can have your pick of white milk or chocolate milk, but let me tell you a secret- the best way to drink the milk is half chocolate and half white. That way you cut the richness of the chocolate but still get to enjoy its sweet flavor.

If you’re a Sweet Martha’s cookie fan, bring your bucket of cookies and enjoy them with some milk


Patrick: First corn, now milk? That’s stupid! NOT ITS NOT!

A great man once said “It’s so hot…milk was a bad choice.” That man was Ron Burgundy, and he was wrong.



Something about a cold, cold (seriously cold) cup of milk during a hot day is so damn refreshing. All you can drink milk? Yup, even better.

You can choose between classic white, or chocolate, but the true foodie will make the right choice and go half and half. What about strawberry milk? Nope, that’s garbage, so don’t hold out hope.

Oddly enough, I never have the forethought to get a brownie or cookies to go with that milk. Ah well.

6 comments:

  1. True story: I have never once taken advantage of the all-you-can-drink milk at the State Fair. I'm just not a milk drinker. It goes on my cereal (and, like, I have nothing against using it in recipes when called for), but that's about it. The idea of just sitting down to drink a tall glass of milk? No thanks.

    That said, this year (or very soon) may be the year I break my no-milk-at-the-fair run, just because I can imagine access to cheap milk may come in handy when we're there w/Liam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to think it was NBD too and only recently have we started to partake every year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty excited for you to try the milk for the first time, I'm not gonna lie. You'll have to report back with your thoughts

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!