Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Classics Countdown: Deep Fried Banana Split

Day 12 of the Classics Countdown brings us a dessert:

Deep Fried Banana Split



Location: Ole and Lena’s stand West side of Liggett St. between Carnes &Judson avenues


Sarah: There are so many delicious ice creams at the fair. The dairy barn is a must, as is the nitro ice cream in the food building (so smooth and creamy.) But. The ice cream that I get every year, even when I’m full and can’t eat anything more, is the Deep Fried Banana Split.

The banana is wrapped in lefse before deep frying, so it has a crispy shell. Then it is nestled between vanilla ice cream, nuts, strawberries and chocolate.

It’s warm and cold. Salty and sweet. Gooey and Crispy.

It is all things.


Anne: This is one of those secret food items that no one ever knows about. It’s at the Ole and Lena stand which is mostly famous for its Hotdish on a Stick. But people blow right past the Deep Fried Banana Split and they have no idea what they’re missing.

Take a banana, wrap it in lefse, and then fry it! Serve it with ice cream, nuts, chocolate, and whipped cream? Hoo boy is this delicious. I cannot describe to you the finished texture and flavor of the banana--it’s something you have to experience for yourself (but my mouth is legit watering right now thinking about it).

Do I get Deep Fried Banana Split every dang year? You Betcha.


Patrick: Ok, of all the fruits, bananas are on the bottom of my list. I hate the texture, especially really ripe bananas, and the flavor doesn’t do it any favors.

That said, if you’re going to eat bananas, you might as well batter and deep fry them and serve them up banana split style.

I don’t usually get this, but the twins do, and I’ll sometimes have a bite. I smile and say it’s pretty great, then I go buy a two dollar cheeseburger to wash the flavor out of my mouth.

2 comments:

  1. Hidden gem indeed - this is one I've not only never had, but didn't even know existed! First time you've hit one of those for me!

    I'll definitely have to give this a try sometime - I love fried bananas.

    Also, yay for dissension in the Ahiers ranks! Let's see more of that. Pat, don't let those rascally twins off the hook too easily. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you like fried bananas, you'll probably really like this. The lefse wrapped banana is so good. AND! There's a shaded little seating area behind Ole and Lena's which hardly anyone knows about, so you can eat your sundae in comfort!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!