Friday, August 19, 2016

Classics Countdown: Deep Fried Candy Bar

Day Ten of our Classics Countdown brings us something sweet today:

Deep Fried Candy Bar




Location: Stand on Carnes Ave. between Nelson & Underwood streets


Sarah: I remember back in the day when Deep Fried Candy Bar on a Stick was the new darling of the MN State Fair.

And they were so, so good.

There are a couple of options but I always go with Snickers because I like the crunchy nuts as a juxtaposition. Because once you batter a candy bar and deep fry it, all those insides melt into a gooey, chocolatey, delicious mess. So I like the crunch in there.

But, for me, these have become too rich. As a kid, I could a whole one myself. Now, as an adult, I’ll take a bite, maybe two, of someone else’s and that’s enough for me for the year.


Anne: This is exactly what it sounds like--candy bar, battered and deep fried. There’s a pastry-like shell and inside is a melty, ooey-gooey candy bar.

Sarah and I prefer Snickers (the peanuts help break up the richness) but Patrick usually goes for Milky Way (nougat!). They also have deep fried Oreos which I have heard nothing but good things about.

This treat is so rich you need to split it with a friend or you’ll be done with sweets for the day (and it’s a marathon, not a sprint, so you need to pace yourself, readers).

To be completely honest, some years I skip this because it’s SO RICH that it takes a while to recover from (or I’ not able to finish it and then I’m just wasting money). But the deep fried candy bar is consistently fantastic every time we imbibe.


Patrick: I seem to recall thinking, “deep fried candy bars? Ok, that’s going too far.”

I’ve since been proven so very wrong…both by how delicious it is, and by how so very too far they have gone beyond that. Probably too sweet and sugary to safely eat alone, but I don’t let that stop me.

A brand name candy bar, dipped in sweet pancake batter and deep fried so it is like a soft pillow wrapped around melty chocolate and nougat, this dessert is best with a Snickers, or my favorite, a 3 Musketeers bar. Give me all that sweet, whipped nougat, hot damn.

Don’t expect to eat anything after; this is a show stopper, and toilet starter.

4 comments:

  1. I am generally a deep fried Twinkie guy rather than a deep fried candy bar guy (the Twinkie seems lighter, somehow, less of a gut bomb), but nevertheless, the deep fried candy is delish. Especially the Snickers one (I too like the addition of the crunchy nuts). The oreos are pretty good too, and much easier to share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly can't recall if I've tried the twinkie or not. I like your claim that it seems lighter, because really, at this point, I can only do like a single bit of the candy bar before I'm out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totes try a Twinkie, at least once. If nothing else, just to say you've had a deep fried Twinkie (which seems like the poster child for outrageously bad-for-you fried food). I don't get one every visit (or even every year), but always love it when I do.

      Delete
  3. I've heard good things about the twinkie but just have never gotten around to it. maybe this year...

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!